Monday, February 9, 2009

Thursday was about the most unlikely day ever to try out a manure spreader. As promised, the dealer was there with the factory man to show us all the important features. It's pretty hard to focus on the salient features of a spreader at 0 degrees even if the sun is out. We got a few loads into it and it performed quite well. The tractor hooked to the spreader has a full cab with a heater and radio and about anything else except a cup holder. The tractor we use to load the spreader has no cab. I loaded.

We agreed to keep it and parked it waiting for better weather. We are starting to prepare for this years calves. We pretty much know when to expect the ones from AI; one week minus nine months. The ones that the bull participated in are more of an unknown.

The road has become pure glare ice almost of ice skating quality. Our fleet can handle a lot but we have nothing for ice. About the best we can do is hope for a sunny day and drive up and down in the big tractor and hope it roughens it up enough for a little traction.

Jim was off on Friday to visit his sister at college in Nashville. He called from the airport to say that the plane was changed from going to Atlanta to Cincinnati. I reminded him that I was born there. We moved away when I was one so I don't have well defined memories.

Later, he called to say he was in Detroit instead of Cincy. He did eventually make it Nashville and only a few hours late.

Saturday the weather was better and a friend helped me spread manure. The spreader worked exceedingly well. After we were done, I wondered if we should have left a path for the snowmobilers. We were also able to set up another maternity pen in the coverall barn.

Jim made it back late Sunday and this time by way of Cincinnati. I think he had chili on top of spaghetti at the airport which is a big thing there. I did a lot of book work to get ready for tax season. It is surprising how much paperwork is required for even a small farm our size.

Monday was another good day. The check came from our calf that was auctioned in Denver. It's always nice to get a check.

It's now daylight until at least six. Today was mid 30's and sun. I moved a bunch of round bales out of the fields onto the gravel pad near the barn. They are talking a big thaw later this week and there is no need of rutting up the field.

The phone has continued to ring. I had a call from the Eastern part of the state about our Lowlines. Hopefully, those folks will be out Wednesday to look over our cattle. They are apparently interested in buying some animals to raise and eventually slaughter Kosher. I assured him that he wouldn't be disappointed if he drives out here.

Tonight is my monthly County Fire meeting. I am on a committee preparing a report on the utilization of our county fire departments. At the moment, I am frustrated by the quality of the data we have. Hopefully that will change tonight.

No comments: