Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snow arrived on schedule Wednesday morning. By our local standards, it didn't amount to much. The school felt they better delay things for two hours to get a handle on it. It has been quite unusual to have several regional snow storms as compared to our usual highly localized lake effect snow.

The cattle didn't mind much. I went with a friend to the green dealership. The battery in my four year old tractor has become weak. The dealer didn't have one but promised to deliver one tomorrow. We then went to the lumber yard so I could order materials for my new cattle shed. My friend's son works there. I'd much rather deal with someone local than the big box stores.
We got everything ordered and headed back home.

Thursday morning my friend was at my house by 7AM. We were going to take his blue tractor back to his dealer on my fifth wheel trailer. We got everything loaded without any difficulty and went off to the dealer. We had a lot of fun bantering with the salesman on the relative merits of various tractor colors.

I got home in time to unload the lumber I ordered yesterday. One benefit of dealing locally is the lumber tends to be straight rather than twisted up like a snake at the big name stores. The battery arrived and the tractor started right up.

I need siding for the shed. Cattle are not respectfulul of metal siding. We have some nearby goats that live in a hut that had plastic siding when new. They've eaten it off as high as they can reach.

My friend's son told me about a sawmill in the foothill of the Adirondacks that saws larch. It is also called tamarack. I fell out of a tamarack tree when I was a kid so I figured I'd finally get even by ordering some larch wood. It is supposedly highly resistant to cattle waste which will be abundant in and around their shed. I hope to go get it next week which should be another adventure.

They are talking a big snow for tomorrow. We put out extra bedding and got everything ready just in case the weatherman happens to be right. We'll see what the morning brings.

No comments: