Saturday, December 13, 2008

Thursday was a pretty calm but busy day. Verne wanted to work the cattle. We went over to his place and ran a whole bunch of calves and cows through the chute. We got their weights and checked them over.

The snow was here on Friday morning. Jim's school closed for the day. We had about six inches of non lake effect snow. I plowed the road and worked around the farm. Jim went over to Verne's in the afternoon to help Verne.

In the afternoon, I went off to help on a construction site problem. A contractor friend is responsible for building a sewer pumping station nearby. They have an excavation that will go about thirty feet deep which is about twenty feet below the water table. They have tried unsuccessfully to lower the water table. I had made some recommendations and my former company had brought in a drill rig to construct a test well. I went to observe. I had forgotten how cold you can get when you are watching but not working. We got the well installed and I'll go back on Monday to see what to do next. I enjoy these assignments.

Saturday was a big day for Jim. He had his second interview for the United States Naval Academy. The interview panel is selected by the local Congressman to advise him on whom to appoint. Jim hopes to hear by Christmas.

It was the coldest day of the winter so far but everything worked. We started to assemble a prefabricated lean to that we will use as a pasture shelter.

No comments: